Summary: This article is about learning how to view MDF file without SQL Server using different methods. Evidently, for this, we will first understand an MDF file followed by its location in the system.
Also, we know that users have asked for a solution that does not require SQL Server but we are also going to mention the automated solution. This is because some users might be interested in that as well.
So let’s begin learning how to read MDF file without SQL Server & to start, let’s understand the MDF file. Its location is equally important as well.
What’s MDF & Where Is It Stored? MDF File Location
The MDF file is also known as the Master Database File of SQL Server. Apart from this, SQL Server has NDF, LDF, BAK & SQL file formats. However, the MDF file is considered as the master file as it stores almost all the primary data. When we talk about its location & it’s not simple. The location of the MDF file differs on the basis of SQL Server version.
SQL Server 2000: Let’s start with SQL Server 2000 version MDF location.
- Default instance. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\
- Named instance. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
The SQL Server 2005 & 2008.
- Default instance. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.#\MSSQL\Data\
- Named instance. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.#\MSSQL$InstanceName\Data\
SQL Server 2012 & Later.
- Default instance. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\
- Named instance. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.InstanceName\MSSQL\DATA\
Other version’s MDF file location are also on a similar pattern.
Know How to Read MDF File without SQL Server Automatically
Now when users are interested in finding the automated solution that avoids the SQL Server, here we are. The SysTools SQL Server MDF Viewer Tool also known as MDF File Opener without any hassles at all. This advanced tool can easily let users read all the crucial data inside their MDF file.
Download the software & install it in your system to continue. Now, simply follow the below-mentioned steps on the right order.
Step-1. Launch the Tool in your system to begin.
Step-2. Click on the Open button to Add MDF files.
Step-3. Select the Quick or Advanced Scan mode.
Step-4. Start Scanning of MDF files & notice the bar.
Step-5. Learning how to view MDF file without SQL Server finished.
Note: The software also works on SQL Server 2022 version. For scanning files of version 2019 & above, select the 2019 version option.
How to View MDF File without SQL Server Database Manually
Now, when we come to the manual solution, there are not plenty of options. Users need to have SSMS in their system. SQL Server Management Studio is something that can help users in case they can’t get the automated solution.
Step 1. Launch SSMS & then simply follow the other steps.
Step 2. Connect your SSMS with the SQL Server instance.
Step 3. Object Explorer >> Right Click on the Database
Step 4. Hit Add in Attach Database Window to proceed.
Step 5. Browse MDF File >> Select MDF >> Click Ok.
Step 6. Hit the Ok button at the end to view MDF files.
Which Method is Better: Automated Vs Manual
Now, there’s a long debate going on that which method is better for users & everyone is confused. To find out the real answer, lets quickly compare both the advantages & disadvantages of these solutions.
There are several advantages present in automated tool whereas the drawbacks are hard to find. Let’s have a look at them.
- Let users view SQL MDF files without SQL database.
- Allow reading corrupted MDF file data as well with ease.
- This software do not possess any size limitation on data.
- View tables, functions, triggers, views, classes, indexes, etc.
- This tool is capable enough to provide users deleted MDF files.
- The software works on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, etc. with Windows Server.
- SQL Server 2022, 2019, 2017. 2016, 2014, etc versions are compatible.
Drawbacks: There is just one drawback here as this tool do not provide any demo version.
When we dive deep in to the manual solution, we can say it do not fulfil the user query. As users ask how to read MDF file without SQL Server database, the manual solution requires SQL Server. However, let’s understand this as well.
Advantages: It is totally free if users have an active license of SQL Server.
- Manual method isn’t for beginners or new users.
- There is a high risk of data loss present here.
- The procedure is quite complex & confusing.
- This method is very inefficient & time-taking.
- Users must require expert assistance here.
Also Read: Repair Corrupt SQL Backup File With Ease
The Final Say
At last, we are going to conclude this article with a final statemnet. As per our analysis, the automated method is anytime a bette choice thn manual method for users to read MDF files. Learning how to view MDF file without SQL Server is now easy if users are aware of the automated techniques.
Also, these advanced methods are recommended by many experts & SQL MVPs. This is because no other solution can match the acccuracy, versitality & performance of SysTools solution for now & upcoming years.